Grief & Loss Resources
Use Google or your favorite search engine to reference the following:
- American Cancer Society: ACS:Coping with Grief and Loss
- bmj.com – British Medical Journal/series of ten articles of different losses
- Caring Connections
- Children with AIDS Project
- Discovery Counseling Center
- Grief’s Journey
- Hospice Foundation of America: HFA Grief and Loss Resources
- National Institute on Aging: Age Page: Mourning the Death of a Spouse
Help for Children:
- The Dougy Center
- Assoc. of SIDS & Infant Mortality
- Baby Steps
- Compassionate Friends
- March of Dimes: Grief and Loss: The Loss of a Baby
- Assoc. for Pet Loss & Bereavement
- Harmony Animal Hospital, Pet Loss
- A Year to Live, Levine, Stephen
- After He’s Gone: A Guide for Widowed or Divorced Women, Sowell, Barbara/Tom and Schwisow, Donnette
- As You Grieve, Zerah, Aaron
- Beyond Grief: A Guide for Recovering from the Death of a Loved One, Viorst, Judith
- Child Loss: When a Child Dies, Pregent, Carol
- Children and Grief: When A Parent Dies, Worden, J. William
- Consolation: The Spiritual Journey Beyond Grief, (Judaism) Lamm Maurice
- Focusing, Gendlan, Eugene T.
- Grief Recovery Handbook, James, John W., and Cherry, Frank
- Graceful Exits: How Great Being Die, Blackman, Sushila
- Final Gifts, Callanan, Maggie
- Final Journey: A Practical Guide for Bringing Care and Comfort at the End of Life, Callanan, Maggie
- Handbook for Mortals: Guidance for People Facing Serious Illness, Lynn, M.D. Joanne,, Harrold M.D., Joan,
- Healing into Life and Death, Levine, Stephen
- House of Sand and Fog, Dubus III, Andre
- How to Go on Living When Someone You Love Dies, Rando, Therese
- How We Die: Reflections on Life’s Final Chapter, Nuland, Sherwin B.
- I’m Grieving as Fast as I Can: How Young Widows/Widowers Can Cope, Feinberg, Linda
- Living in the Light of Death: On the Art of Being Truly Alive, Rosenberg, Larry
- Living When a Loved One Has Died (poems), Grollman. Rabbi Earl A.
- Making Loss Matter: Creating Meaning in Difficult Times (excellent), Wolpe, Rabbi David
- Man’s Search for Meaning, Frankl, Victor
- Men and Grief, Staudacher, Carol
- Rainbow in the Stone, Neimeyer, Robert (Selected poems)
- Safe Passage: Words to Help Grieving (short readings), Fumia, Molly
- Sorrow, Alegria Claribel (poems/spousal loss)
- Staring at the Sun: Overcoming the Terror of Death, Yalom Irwin D.
- Swallowed by a Snake: The gift of Masculine Side of Healing, Golden, Thomas
- Surviving Grief: Learning to Live Again, Sanders, Catherine M.
- The Art of Dying: A Comprehensive Guide to your Physical Emotional and Spiritual Concerns, Weenolsen, Patricia
- The Courage to Grieve, Tatelbaum, Judy
- The Dying Time: Practical Wisdom for the Dying and Their Caretakers, Furman, Joan & McNabb, David
- The End of Life Handbook: A Compassionate Guide to Connecting with and Caring for a Dying Loved One, Feldman, Dave & Laser, S. Andrew
- The Four Things that Matter Most: A book about Living, Byock, M.D., Ira
- The Gift of Grief: finding peace, transformation and renewed life after sorrow, Gewirtz, Mathhew.
- The Grace in Dying, Singh, Kathleen Dowling
- The Jewish Way in Death and Mourning, Lamm, Maurice
- The Journey through Grief, Wolfert, Alan
- Final Chapter: The Needs of the Dying (10th Ed), A Guide for Bringing Hope, Comfort and Love to Life, Kessler, David
- Understanding Your Grief: A Journal to Complete, Wolfelt, Allan
- What Dying People Want: Practical Wisdom for the End of Life, Kuhl, M.D., David
- When Bad Things Happen to Good People, Kushner, Harold
- When God and Grief Meet: True Stories of Comfort and Courage, Eib, Lynn
- When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Hard Times, Chodron, Pema
- When Your Soul Aches: Hope & Help for Women Who have Lost Their Husbands, Rabey, Lois
- Who Dies? Levine, Stephen and Ondrea
- Widow to Widow, Rebuilding your Life, Ginsburg, Genevieve Davis
- Women in Mourning: Stories of Grieving Women, Clayton, Jean
Pre-school and Early Elementary
- A Quilt for Elizabeth. Tiffault, B.
- Everett Anderson's Goodbye. Clifton, Lucille
- Jasper's Day. Parker, Marjorie Blain. (About terminally ill dog who is part of a loving family)
- Last Week My Brother Anthony Died. Hickman, M.W.
- Lifetimes. Mellonie, Bryan and Robert Ingpen
- Saying Goodbye to Daddy. Vigna, Judith
- Talking About Death. Grollman, Earl A. (This is a most practical guide for parents and other adults who are faced with explaining death to a child.)
- The Happy Funeral. Bunting, E.
- When Dinosaurs Die: A Guide to Understanding Death. Brown, Laurie Krasny and Marc Brown
- Why Did Grandpa Die? Shook-Hazen, B.
For Elementary School Children
- A Taste of Blackberries, Smith, D. B.
- Dusty Was My Friend. Claudy, A.F. (Story of an eight-year-old boy whose ten-year-old friend died in a car accident.)
- Emily's Sad Happy Season, Lowden-Golightly, S.
- Mustard. Graeber, C. (Aging and death of a cat.)
- Poppy's Chair, Graeber, C.
- Saying Goodbye to Grandma, Thomas, J. R.
- Talking about Death: A dialogue between Parent and Child, Grollman, Earl A.
- The Accident. Carrick, C. (Little boy's reaction to his dog being run over by a truck).
Older Elementary and Middle School Children
- Bridge to Terabithia, Paterson, K.
- Lanky Longlegs, Lorenzen, K. .
- Sun & Spoon, Henkes, Kevin
- Tear Soup: A Recipe for Healing After Loss, Schiebert, Pat and Deklyen, Chuck
- You Shouldn't Have to Say Goodbye, Hermes, P.
- Where the Balloons Go, Coleman, Paul
Middle School Children
- Beat the Turtle Drum, Greene, C. (Book for children who have lost a sibling.)
- Child’s View of Grief, Wolfert, Alan D. (Concise resource for parents of grieving kids explores several key principles for helping children cope with grief.)
- Puggy Brown Ears' Purr Song, Fausey, Linda. (This is a beautifully illustrated story about a cat's loss of his best cat friend.)
- Tiger Eyes, Blume, Judy
- A Matter of Time, Schotter, R.
- Fire in My Heart, Ice in My Veins : A Journal for Teenagers Experiencing a Loss,Traisman, Enid Samuel
- Healing Your Grieving Heart: 100 Practical Ideas for Teens, Wolfert, Alan D.,
- Helping Teens Work Through Grief, Perschy, Mary Kelly
- Straight Talk About Death for Teenagers: How to Cope With Losing Someone You Love, Grollman, Earl A.
- The Grieving Teen: A Guide for Teenagers and Their Friends, Fitzgerald, Helen
- When a Friend Dies: A Book for Teens About Grieving & Healing, Gootman, Marilyn E.